The Trolley Took Us There 07.16.10
The Pacific Electric trolley ran up Figueroa Street from Slauson Junction in South Los Angeles to South Pasadena, and Pasadena. At this point it had its own bridge built in 1895 that crossed the Arroyo Seco taking it to Cawston Ostrich Farm on the other side. On the right is the University of Southern California’s College of Fine Arts, as directed by founder, Williams Lees Judson. Three years after this photo was taken, the building seen here burnt to the ground. USC rebuilt it and had classes there until the school left Garvanza for their main campus in 1920. The Judson family stayed and used the building just as they do today to house their world-famous stained glass studios.